ypbind not running - can still login
  • From: Volker Kuhlmann <kuhlmav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 10:36:34 +1200 (NZST)
I did some tests with the NIS authentication stuff on SuSE 6.3, setting
a ypserver and starting ypbind (both via /etc/rc.config). Package
ypclient-3.4-4.

I edited /etc/passwd and changed the default
+::::::
+someuser::::::
This should only allow someuser to login. Fine. Then I
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypclient stop
to revert back to standard non-NIS behaviour. But user someuser can
still login, using the password authenticated by the yp server. Putting a
bogus ypserver into /etc/yp.conf has no effect, and there is no someuser
anywhere else in passwd.

This is a worry - I get NIS authentication but ypbind isn't running!!

What's going on? Something must be buffered somewwhere - unloading ypbind
should flush that!!

Volker

< Previous Next >