passwd question
  • From: Jose Luis Araujo <l41141@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:42:29 +0100 (WET DST)

Hy, having installed my first SUSE system [BTW 6.3] (and against my will)
finding it much better than i expected of a "user-friendly" instalation.

When browsing the new system i found something that i thought i would never
found in a modern linux setup, the passwords were using only the first 8
caracters of a password, that is using DES, why doesn't it uses MD5 crypt.

I may be wrong, and i hope this isn't the default. It it is, then i consider
it a bug.

My question then is: how to install a better crypt or how to setup a better
crypt.

See you in the battleground
Jose Araujo aka "Forever Young"

< Previous Next >