masquerading and a monolithic kernel
  • From: Arjen Runsink <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:16:23 +0200
L.S.

Experimenting with a firewall I compiled a monolithic kernel with
masquerading and without loadable module support so as to make it
impossible to subvert the kernel by a malicious module.

But alas, the special masq modules for irc and ftp and so forth are only
made and available as modules :(
This is handy, especially a modified ftp module that snoops passwords
would work for whatever-your-color-of-hat to do his thing.

So this brings security but partially hast the functionality of a
disconnected system.:)

Is there a way to not make them a module but put them into my kernel?

BB, Arjen
--
Sell what you use, use what you sell.