Re: [suse-security] Aliases...
  • From: cogNiTioN <cognition@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 13:04:21 +0000 (GMT)
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Jussi Laako wrote:

> cogNiTioN wrote:
> >
> > Fuck you. I was trying to debate a security issue on a security list, I
>
> Thanks. Conversation just didn't seem to go anywhere.

I agree, it doesn't. But I think it should.

> I think it's polite to use real name, especially when talking about security
> issues. Would you buy a lock or firewall from anonymous person? Or post
> announcement about security hole to k3wL-hAx0r5@xxxxxxxxxxx who is asking
> just that?

If the US Senate can look past someone's chosen name (didn't they ask
l0pht, to take part in a discussion on locks?) then why can't you?

I wouldn't buy a security product from anyone unknown to me, if a program,
or author of the program has a good rep, i.e. others I know could
recommend it, then yes I'd buy it, whether it be written by some 13 year
old kid with a hotmail account and an alias, or by someone much older who
uses their real name. In the past I've taken security advice, which as
close as I get to buying a product, from people with aliases, and the
alias wasn't even considered as an issue, only their knowledge, and
experties. I feel sorry for you if you are unable to do likewise.

Post a security announcement? Yep, would do. If I discovered a
hole/problem, I'd release it to the public. i.e. I'd release it to anyone,
and everyone, interested.

> P.S. I'll try to be silent for a while, or at least put my head to bucket of
> icy seawater before writing...

I don't have a problem with you posting, unless you insist on just posting
insults. Don't let me stop you making worthwhile contributions.

/cog

< Previous Next >
List Navigation