Re: [suse-security] *WANTED: ipchains guru*
  • From: "Daniel L. Donahue" <don34090@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:22:03 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Chrissy LeMaire wrote:

> Sorry, read too fast.. I dont think ipchains can do port forwarding at this
> time, but "redir" kinda works (I got it to work for www, but not smtp)
> redir is also available on freshmeat.net
> The mailing list may be able to provide more info about port forwarding
>
> Chrissy

I think you mean forwarding ports to other machines (as opposed to
just redirecting them on a particular interface/machine). Plenty of
programs do-- redir is one, squid has the ability to do some incredibly
complex tasks, and other utilities can be used like an ssh port forward
(or even netcat for that matter).

As for ipchains, i think it can do port forwarding itself-- this
is from /sbin/ipchains --help:

--destination -d [!] address[/mask] [!] [port[:port]]
destination specification

This seems to imply that it can be handled by ipchains.

dan