Re: [suse-security] which ssh vs. to use?
  • From: Sotiris Tsimbonis <suse-sec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 05:21:51 +0200 (EET)
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> > has anyone suggestions about which ssh version is "better" (e.g. more
> > secure) to use: the last open source (is it?) version 1.2.27 or the
> > proprietary 2.0.xx, except that open source code is more transparent?
>
> You can use openssh, it's under GPL.
> http://www.openssh.org

Please note that the correct URL for OpenBSD's implementation of ssh is
http://www.openssh.COM/ - here's a note from the website:

If you reached this web site via www.OpenSSH.ORG, please realize that
OpenSSH.COM is the correct address, and that OpenSSH.ORG is not controlled
by us. It is owned by Alex de Joode of Zedz.net, a person not at all
related with the OpenSSH Project. He allocated the domain after he saw
that OpenSSH was mentioned by the Linux Weekly News on the 14th October
1999. Unfortunately, this was before we thought of registering a domain
name. Our official announcement was released on the 25th October 1999. We
have repeatedly talked with Alex to reach a domain transfer without any
success. He has told us he has future plans for the domain name but our
claim is that we (not him) created this free, new, and great thing for the
world to use and we wish to avoid confusion. Please note also that our
email address is openssh.COM, not .ORG. We have a mail archive about the
entire discussion, from the very start -- all people agree to permit
distribution of the mail archive, except for Alex.

You could also try lsh, available from http://www.net.lut.ac.uk/psst/, but
as it states, it's still work in progress..