Re: [suse-security] firewall-script doesn't start
  • From: "John Scroggins" <dataefx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:19:51 -0800
grab this file from the rpmfind.net site

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/6.3/axp/suse/sec1/firewals-1.4-8.noarch.ht
ml

This will correct the file links to start the firewal program. I had the
same problem myself.

Yes, you may want to rebuild your kernel to load the appropriate modules,
unless you want to modify the firewall script in init.d.

Once you've downloaded the file you'll need to modify the /etc/rc.firewall
configuration file to your taste.

The rpm file is listed for the axp platform, but disregard that, due to the
noarch designation, it will install on any platform.

btw: there is an more updated version on firewal.rpm on the SuSE ftp site
under /6.3/updates. For some reason, (I have yet to fire off a post to
SuSE) the program seems to open ports that were not available when using the
firewal-1.4.8 program. I always audit my network with nmap. Until I can find
out why those ports have become visible I cannot recommend the latest
version.

Cheers,

John