Re: [opensuse-ruby] %gem_install leads to multiple binaries in /usr/bin/
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 14:51:49 -0700
Robert Munteanu <robert.munteanu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
vagrant is no longer distributed as a gem as of 1.5.0 -
https://rubygems.org/gems/vagrant . This means that I can't use
gem2rpm ( to my knowledge ) as I'm already in the build process when
the gem is available.

Thinking out loud, is it acceptable to change the update process from:

- download tarball; update spec file; osc build

Actually that's not the current process for that gem; it's

- update revision param in _service file; run osc service dr;
update spec file; osc build

That said, the tarballs of the tagged releases *are* directly
available from GitHub, although I would prefer not to switch
to those because it's useful to be able to switch _service to point to
a specific git commit in order to test something, and also tar_scm
provides a nice caching layer to speed up downloads.

- download tarball; rebuild gemfile from tarball; update spec file; osc build

?

This would bring this build closer to a 'standard' rubygem one, but
with the extra hassle when updating versions.

Thoughts?

Sounds reasonable; you could do all this in a Makefile, and it
wouldn't be the first time a Makefile has been used to build package
sources.