Re: [opensuse-ruby] the case of the two rubies
On 07.02.2014 09:37, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
On Friday 07 February 2014 08:28:38 Stephan Kulow wrote:
Hi,

Now that Klaus' ruby merge is done, I switched the OBS project
to use it - as a test bed of a "product". It's plain impossible
to keep yast and update OBS on 13.1 ;(

We have several things required by yast

libruby2.0.so.2.0 is required by yast2-ruby-bindings and libstorage-ruby
ruby(abi) == 2.0.0 is required by rubygem-ruby-dbus and rubygem-fast_gettext

So not to break yast the OBS "product" needs to provide at least 4
packages linking against ruby 2.1. The libruby2.0 problem will be gone
for future updates as we now have libruby2_1 as a special package, but
the ruby(abi) problem will stay and as I said before: making
/usr/bin/ruby an update-alternative is only a solution as long
as rubygem-fast_gettext isn't required by OBS with a different
ruby abi.

Couldn't you switch to plain rubygem-gettext? I guess it's only a transitive
dependency anyway since I can't recall a German OBS :-)

OBS does not gettext at the moment, no. But software.oo does for example
and we won't be able to hold yast on the VM running software.oo soon ;(