On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 16:26:56 +0100
Sascha Peilicke <saschpe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/06/2012 01:13 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
Sascha Peilicke (saschpe@xxxxxxx) wrote:

[...loveley Ruby fun...]

OK, but that's just a usability issue rather than a blocker, right?
Totally off topic, but it's worth telling this story. First of all,
"osc build" finds a default spec file because Dirk added that our of
annoyance. "osc vc" doesn't find because it popen's a shell script
originates from autobuild, has a copyright header from 2009, consists
of 152 LOCS of which approximately 140 LOCS deal with input
validation and finding changes files (which osc already knew). There
you have the helpful message "Choose one of $BLA". But poor shell
script can't know OBS packages because it's just a poor shell script
from the "build" package. Did I forgot to tell that the Python code
in osc that happens to popen said script also parses changes files
(for even worse reasons)?

Long story short, smart masterpieces like these are the result of
brilliantly thought out design decisions by lone star software
plumbers who may have even remotely heard of software design but
decided to do it differently anyway. Of course this has the priceless
advantage that plumbers can have an instant laugh watching the hole
skyscraper of bullshit collapse once anyone tries to flip a single
bit. Lastly, no real developer is interested in even caring for
"usability", it's to close to the word hillbilly and would help only
users.

OK, one my note to this off-topic, because I bring it back to gems and
ruby. I plan to improve usability for request in build service to
show also diffs in gem files same as we do for tarball ( nice feature
). But I found that there is no test suite in build service. And
because setup own build service to verify that it works as I expect
lead me to give up my attempt to improve code. I expect that build
service have test cases that cover at least borders of API ( iterface
between backend and frontend, cli tools etc. ).
And one benefit of writing test case is that you have one more option
to think about code and what it should do. Sometime it makes amazing
results in simplifying code.

Josef

Getting back to the whole Ruby discussion, let's just do it! We can
still make it more complicated once we managed to understand what we
did to make it easier ;-)