Re: [opensuse-ruby] Packaging rails applications for openSUSE
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:00:36 +0200
Jordi Massaguer Pla <jmassaguerpla@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Quoting Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:

On 02.08.2012 15:22, Jordi Massaguer Pla wrote:

I would go for that. I know is against how we've done things in the past
but I think you can look at rubygems as part of your application and not
part of the system.

Why would a curl gem be part of the appliaction but libcurl be part of
the system? The curl gem is just a ruby library on top of the C library.
And as a matter of fact the chances that a change in the libcurl breaks
your application are much higher than a change in the rubygem-curl.

I understand your point.

However, I have the feeling that gems are evolving very very fast,
there are a lot of versions of each gems and there are a lot of gems.
Thus, I do not think it is worth maintaining an rpm for every possible
gem, and I am sure we agree on that, but I do not like having the
restriction of only using the gems that are packaged as rpms.

I must say that it is exactly what I don't like in current ruby world ( well it
affect only part of it ). Fast development is OK, but changes are often
backward incompatible, version doesn't respect this incompatibility. If it will
be backward compatible, then we can just use latest version and everything is
OK. And it is not annoying only for us as distro. We develop rails application
and every change that I must do due to changes in gem is annoying ( and we need
to do it due to cut of upstream support ). Big changes are rails and ruby
update, but also small gems change and we then need to update code and it is
unnecessary code for us.
I hope that ruby community start taking backward compatibility more seriously.

I do not see this kind of restrictions in ruby clouds, for example
heroku. Thus from a developer point of view it is not very attractive
to develop for a system that has restrictions on which gems I can use.

Only restriction I see is use gems that take seriously backward compatibility
and don't break your code with every gem update. I think it is not so big
restriction. I hope that if we start more often complaining about this topic,
developers start considering it more seriously.

The curb gem was not a good example as it relies on an external
library, but this is not the case of most of the gems.

It is not about external dependencies. It is about library versions, its
backward compatibility and your code ( if you use undocumented functions,
monkey patch everything like a mad and call private methods, then it is problem
of your code ).

Josef

regards

jordi