Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ruby (11 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ruby] Revised gem packaging
On 01.08.2012 10:08, Josef Reidinger wrote:

- changed the gem2rpm template heavily

I play with it now when I try to get working webyast and SLMS with new
gems and I found it really cool. Good work. One disadvantage is that
all dependencies need to be generated by new gem2rpm. I convert a lot
of gems in dlre, but more maybe will be needed.

It's not strictly necessary to regenerate them. But you need to have the
buildrequires ruby-macros in there (it's required when building against
devel:languages:ruby:backports, but I guess you don't build in dlre
yourself).

The automatic provides cover the old names, but I kind of hope we can
drop them in the future:

Please do not drop it in near future, as we use recent gems in ATK and
part of gems is also in SDK, so we want to be backward compatible if
customer create ruby/rails rpm with old dependencies.

How long do you think our factory ruby needs to be backward compatible
with sle11 customer? Another 10 years?



As some gems require specific but old versions of other gems, I
created (DISCLAIMER: careful, do not read further if you're easy to
upset) a package containing all those gems. This package will build
rpms for all gems in the source directory. While fixing the current
dependencies, I found 33 gems that I didn't feel worthy enough for
their own spec file, so they ended up in d:l:r:e/all-the-others.

I think we need to create policy for such packages. Example is
factory_girl, where I create old version because new one doesn't work
with ruby 1.9. I think that plain name should be always latest version
and create suffix only if you need old version. I use copypac with
specific revision and looks working for me.

I very much agree on the need of a policy. We should not use suffix for
new packages. Perhaps make an exception for rails, but I already changed
quite a few useless suffixes. Even worse is rubygem-thor where -thor is
the old version and -thor-0_15 is the new version - I fixed that too.

But: be careful with copypac - you screwed factory_girl actually because
for a moment you had 2 rubygem-factory_girl.spec files building
overwriting each other's rpms in the repository. And if you then later
rename to factory_girl-2, you erase the rpms and then there is no
factory_girl left. So if you copypac, build disable the new package
quickly afterwards, then fix the package to get a good suffix and then
build enable.

Greetings, Stephan

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-ruby+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-ruby+owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >
List Navigation
Follow Ups
References