Re: [opensuse-ruby] Fwd: [obs submit-request 127033] openSUSE:Factory/puppet-dashboard:, declined by coolo
On 07/17/2012 03:35 PM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 17.07.2012 14:25, James Tan wrote:

Puppet upstream is distributing their apps this way (bundling), same
with Chef. So why do we want to create extra work by forcing packagers
to extract these and repackage them? I did this for Chef and ended up
with ~50 rubygem packages [1]. Is it worth the time and effort? What do
we gain from doing this? This is the discussion that I would like to have.

It makes sense for upstream to do that, so you can get it up and running
quickly. But as a distribution, it does not make sense to bundle
everything with everything. After all, it's appliances makers
that cry for "make it smaller, share more" all the time. And after that
we defined our policies.

Fair point about the size, but from my perspective the extra 10s of MB is negligible in this context. Disk is cheap.

Rails application deployment best practices usually involve running "bundle install --deployment" so that all the gem dependencies are cached in vendor/bundle for each deployment. This trades disk space for self-contained applications and easier roll-back.

Cheers,
James T.