Re: [opensuse-ruby] Fwd: [obs submit-request 127033] openSUSE:Factory/puppet-dashboard: declined by coolo
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:51:12 +0200
Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 16.07.2012 13:39, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:33:49 +0200
Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11.07.2012 14:51, James Tan wrote:
Ping, no comments from anyone?

For the short/immediate term I highly recommend that we go with
allowing the bundling of gems in applications.

This ruby community is great in exchanging ideas :)

Greetings, Stephan

Well, what you ideas you expect? For me it is reinventing wheel. It
is exactly same for me like discussion if we should link libraries
statically or dynamic. I see there same pros&cons. And question is
if we want user to get bundled apps from us ( some appliacation is
so complex, fragile, that any dependency change can break it ) or
if he should download it outside of distribution ( like we do now
with bundled libraries, e.b. games from humble bumble, that often
contain static libraries ).

I see there only small difference, that more ruby library authors
ignore backward compatibilty ( just my observation ), but it is not
bug difference.

So what we should discuss? It is clear decision what we want
distribute.

OK, replace ideas with opinions in my statement.

I read your mail as "if applications are as fragile as requiring
bundled gems, do not distribute it" btw.

Greetings, Stephan

OK, my opinion is that we should consider it per project. If we allow
bundled gems, then project must be enough important. I think we should
have basic rule to not allow it and only if project is enough popular,
important, etc then allow it.
Having bundled gems indicate for me that project is badly written as it
is fragile to changes in gem versions or have "bad" gems choice
( exotic gems, that use only project itself or gems that ignore backward
compatibility ).