Re: [opensuse-ruby] gem2rpm: split off subpackages to reduce rubygem-*.rpm size
  • From: "Tim Serong" <tserong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:38:19 -0700
On 12/15/2010 at 03:43 AM, Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I, Pepa and Flavio were looking at a way to save space in our
appliances. A major waste of disk space is the way we build gems
into rpms: any rubygem-*.rpm includes the generated RDoc and RI
documentation, averaging over a HALF of the rpm size. Furthemore,
tests amount to another half of the rest.

For example, rubygem-activerecord-2_3-2.3.8 is 12MB on disk, of
which 6MB is one example sql file(!) and the actual library is
900KB, the rest being test cases.

We propose to split off these parts to *-doc and *-testsuite
subpackages, by enhancing the gem2rpm (opensuse) template.

Another savings possibility is to completely remove the original gem
file kept in the cache directory, arguing that if people install it
via RPM, they are used to having the package on a remote repo only
(or cached by libzypp). (Not implemented yet)

Attached is a patch against opensuse.spec.template from
rubygem-gem2rpm-0.6.0-13.2.i586.rpm (which BTW differs from SVN
HEAD). We have tried it on one gem so far.

Does it look good for sending upstream and for applying it across
OBS (Factory, devel:languages:ruby:extensions)? It would be great
for 11.4 (more space on DVD!!!) and for the appliances built in our
department.

Looks reasonable to me (with the disclaimer that I've just read the
spec and patch, not actually tested it myself).

This should/will also benefit anyone freezing gems/rails into their
apps (e.g.: me :))

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Serong <tserong@xxxxxxxxxx>
Senior Clustering Engineer, OPS Engineering, Novell Inc.