Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-releaseteam (19 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-releaseteam] Proposal to resolve the root cause behind whitelisting of Factory patterns for repo_checker
  • From: Jimmy Berry <jberry@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:15:08 -0500
On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:16:08 AM CDT Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
wrote:
The rings are not shipped (separately) - they are not 'visible' in the
product but are there for 'us' to have some basic bootstrap packages
and the minimal set of what we want to safeguard to not break against
each other (what needs to be fixed as a minimum before a gcc update or
glibc update can get in for example)

My point was that had OBS had installcheck functionality from the beginning
the ring setup would likely be a bit different. It seems fairly arbitrary to
stop at BuildRequires as something that builds, but does not install is many
times not much more useful to the end-user than something that does not build.
Seems more like a tooling issue which we can now resolve.

Usage of the whitelist for this purpose is a workaround for the ring workflow.
Something we can do, but it still seems a bit questionable.

--
Jimmy