[opensuse-project] Minutes of openSUSE Board meeting 2020-06-24
Present: Axel, Marina, Gerald, Vinz
Guest: Doug (first topic)
Excused: Simon

== The Teams of openSUSE ==

* An idea was brought up to introduce the various teams we have in
openSUSE, similar to the contributor interviews from the past.

* Why? Share some of the goodness and options to contribute we have
at openSUSE.

* https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Teams was pointed out as an overview,
alas some teams are missing. But it's a good start, and this is a
good initiative per se and to help build out that page.

* Side question: Do we want to propose to have the individual reports
somewhere on suse.com in addition to opensuse.org?

* Initial thought is to focus on opensuse.org and see whether we can
do a summary/compilation blog with references on in the suse.com
communities blog instead (to increase awareness for openSUSE from
that angle).

* This is not meant to replace or compete with "people of openSUSE"
interviews, rather to complement.

* Some concerns that not all teams/team members might be interested
in this kind of publicity, but: never try, never know.

== openSUSE Conference and GDPR ==

* Marina, Doug, and Ciaran (from SUSE Legal) are working together on
GDPR related topics around the openSUSE Conference, which should
also prove useful for openSUSE in general and a base for work on
a Foundation.

== Status of Foundation? ==

* Axel voices concerns about progress (or lack thereof) on a Foundation.

* At the last openSUSE Conference Thomas Di Giacomo (SUSE Present of
Engineering and Innovation) appeared supportive, but there's not
been much progress since.

* Gerald shares his personal perspective, from his own observations,
insights into SUSE, and various conversations:

* Best way forward appears to work out a comprehensive summary and
proposal
- Why?
- How? (Foundation over eV,...)
- "Project plan"
- Requirements
- ideas on funding

* Need to share this and "sell" to SUSE.

* Axel offered to create a first draft of a summary.

Gerald (with apologies for the delay in getting this posted)