[opensuse-project] Wanted: New hosting for opensuse-community.org
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 17:45:36 +0200
Dear community

We need new hosting for the opensuse-community.org website as Bruno
"tigerfoot" Friedmann can't host it anymore for personal reasons.

If you're not familiar with the site, it's just a basic place for hosting
information and one-click installers for multimedia codecs, the YaST Community
Repositories "feed" and similar things. For legal reasons it's better to have
these things at arm's length outside the official openSUSE infrastructure.
However outside the United States I'm pretty sure there should be no legal
concerns about hosting this content (note: IANAL). It's been hosted by
different individuals in a couple of different European countries for a decade
or more now with zero issues.

The technical requirements are next to none. Maybe a few megabytes of storage
required for static html/css and a few xml files. I assume there's a
substantial number of hits/visits, but I don't have statistics. However the
files are very small, so the amount of data traffic shouldn't be overwhelming.

I'm willing to continue to maintain the content, if I can get access to the
new hosting via ftp or whatever.

So if you're interested in taking over the hosting, don't hesitate to step up,
and Bruno will assist with transferring the domain and any other formalities.