[opensuse-project] Re: Goodbye Board
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 22:40:39 -0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 17:24:34 -0500, Robert Schweikert wrote:

On 2/28/20 4:16 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 15:21:15 -0500, Robert Schweikert wrote:

But there was little scrutiny and lots of speculation.

Speculation happens in a vacuum of information, and that's what we
have.

Speculation happens when people _choose_ to speculate, it doesn't just
pop up out of nowhere.

When something that appears to be a crisis happens, speculation happens
when there's no information.

It's difficult to drop

No it is not, Christian asked us, twice, not to do exactly what is
happening. All the rest of us have to do is quit running our fingers
over the keyborad concerning this topic, exercise a little restrained,
and respect the desire of one of our valued members of the community.
How hard is it really to _not_ make up some conspiracy theory and just
say:

Thank you Christian for your effort, sorry to loose you as a board
member. Very happy that you will continue with all the other stuff you
already do.

Be done and move on. Respect, I think is written in our guiding
principles somewhere. That includes respecting community members wishes
about not starting speculation.

I respect Christian's decision to leave the board. That's not an issue.

What I have a hard time respecting is the board's complete and utter
silence about what's going on that caused two members of the board to
resign so shortly after the election was held.

The board needs to also respect the concerns of the membership and
address them, rather than appearing to hide behind a veil of secrecy.

I can respect that we don't need the details. But a green wall of
silence is something I have a hard time respecting. The board has
effectively closed ranks and said "you, members, don't need to know
what's going on in the board."

Which means there's zero accountability to the membership. That is a
huge problem.

it when 40% of the board has resigned for what appear to be similar
reasons. If there's a problem in the board, something needs to be done
to correct that problem, and the membership can't do that when there's
no information.

The membership's opportunity to get involved is in the next election.
AFAIK there is no such thing that the membership can decide during any
part of the term of a sitting board that all or some board members need
to be evicted.

And if whatever it is that caused 40% of the board to leave continues to
create a toxic situation with the community, so be it? At what point do
we, as a community, decide that enough is enough? When 3 resign? When 4
resign?

The membership does not "report" to the board. The board is elected by
the membership, and is accountable to the membership.

I find this lack of transparency *very* disturbing, and this is not a
recent trend.

--
Jim Henderson