Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Board election 2019-2020 - Final candidates list
  • From: Pierre Böckmann <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:05:04 +0100
Hi Sarah, hi Richard!

Though I rather tend to not get involved into a discussion that does not
concern myself, I nonetheless like to say a few words.

When I started contributing to translations, Sarah as a coordinator was the
first to get in touch with me. Her warm welcome, help and guidance was great
and I really appreciate the work she does for openSUSE as a distro as well as
a community. Additonally I really like her as person with a great character as
we had some good conversations in the past.

Still, I think Richard has mentioned some valid concerns regarding your
answeres to the election commitee's questions, Sarah.

As a user and member I know that not everyone can be of the very same opinion.
But we should be a bit more careful in how we express our very own opinion.

openSUSE is a community with a common interest in our projects and I assume
that everyone contributes to openSUSE as a project and community in the best
way and with his/her best intentions towards openSUSE as both, project and
community - no matter which background.
So I highly respect and appreciate Sarah for keeping up the point of building
a foundation for openSUSE to ease the sponsoring process. But this should be
an effort in cooperation with the community and the board - not against anyone
of them.
This would be counter productive or in the worst case even toxic to the board,
community and project. Especially as I think that no one of the community - no
matter if he/she is working for SUSE or not - is working against what benefits
openSUSE as a community and a project. We all have an interest in improving
openSUSE, not harming or cutting it down in anything that would be beneficial
to it.

Therefore I want a board member to unite the community, help and guide it like
you guided me through how translations are done best. You did great at that
and I hope that you will focus more on that as a board member as well. Fight
for what you think is great for openSUSE - but with everyone and not against.

Good luck and kind regards
Pierre