Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Board election 2019-2020 - Final candidates list
  • From: Vinzenz Vietzke <vinz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 23:06:33 +0100
Hi Gerald,

First: thanks for raising these questions. I think it's quite helpful for
people to get an impression of candidates and to extend the platform
pages on the wiki.

1. What do you see as three, four strenghts of openSUSE that we
should cultivate and build upon?

1) Variety of features
OpenSUSE is mostly recognized for the distributions Leap and Tumbleweed. The
broad scale of different sub-projects and them fitting together is a big
strength. We should find a way to get oS associated with the whole project
bits like YaST, OBS, openQA etc.

2) "Heritage"
Linux distributions come and go, some stay for years, others vanish in the
depths of the internet. OpenSUSE has been around for decades now and needs to
plot twist that fact towards a recognition as reliable friend for running
computers.

3) Permission-free community
The openSUSE community lives from people that just do things and try to
convince others by results. That is not usual everywhere in FOSS. Some other
communities try to streamline things into committees and head honchos.

2. What are the top three risks you see for openSUSE? (And maybe
ideas how to tackle them?)

1) Getting forgotten
2) Staying unknown in some parts
3) Stewing in our own juice

There might be other risks as well but these three all fit into one major
topic: communication - or more the lack of it.

My idea to tackle this is to revive (somehow) and to push the marketing team
as a driving spot for everything going from openSUSE towards the rest of the
world. There are already initiatives to write articles, talk to community
people in interviews and to create new marketing material. This of course
needs coordination and manpower, but is already taking off quite good.

The marketing team I have in mind is an initiative working in two directions:
Besides doing things on our own I want to have it open for people dropping
ideas, wishes and projects. Members can open tickets, non-Members can send
emails or join chat rooms to explain what they want or need. Marketing people
then either fulfill the request by themselves or try to find someone willing
to do that, e.g. in artwork, l10n or any other appropriate team.

The main goal is to keep a constant stream of interesting content towards the
rest of the community and to anyone outside openSUSE.

The answer to the following question extends this point a bit more.

3. What should the board do differently / more of?

Communicate. Though most people here (including me) don't like the hierarchy
thing it's something that should not be left unused. In short: if the board
says something, it is widely recognized as something important and official.
Being that only partly true and diametrically positioned against of what the
board really is (a "servant" to the community), it sure is a way to gain
attention for the whole project.

As a quick shot example: pick relevant stuff from the board meeting notes,
make a monthly posting on news-o-o, add a nice "board news" badge.

4. If you had a blank voucher from the SUSE CEO for one wish,
what would that be?

I'd go for easing up processes with Heroes and tech infrastructure. Though
being not into the details anyhow I often hear about things going slowly and
needing lots of poking. And I assume what's visible public there is only the
tip of the iceberg.

5. What is your take on the Foundation? What do you consider
a realistic outcome of that endeavour? (And if different, what
outcome would you like to see?)

Having SUSE involved with community stuff like legal and budget issues will
most likely never been gone. And it would feel wrong to try to cut all
connections there. But my guess and hope for the foundation is that it will
make things more clear and separated.

If anyone has further questions me and (I assume) the other candidates are
happy to answer them!

Regard,
vinz.