[opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Project Name Change Vote
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 00:11:54 -0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:39:03 +0200,
jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Le 11/10/2019 à 21:59, Jim Henderson a écrit :

Give us a clear choice between "keep things as they are" or a solid
proposal for what we should change *to*, not something nebulous that
may or may not be a better choice when we come to a second vote.

I proposed that from the beginning and it was rejected.

Well, I don't think it should have been rejected.

And give us an explicit "abstain" option. L A Walsh is correct - there
is a difference between not voting due to apathy and not voting because
we don't think the choices presented are good choices.

abstain is just that: no voting. Other choice is "blank vote".

The reason for not voting is important to capture, IMO. That's why an
abstention option is important.

and don't you think that people interested on the subject already read
this thread? and have had much enough explanations?

I think that the entire discussion has been confusing to follow, with
lots of different opinions about what we should do, and that the
discussion didn't lead to a clear choice in this vote beyond "change it"
or "don't change it". There isn't enough detail on the "change it"
option beyond "but how is something we'll figure out later".

That's not a good choice.

My opinion is that the reasons for making a change make sense, but unless
and until I have confidence that there's a solid plan for making a
change, creating more chaos is a bad idea.

So my inclination would be to vote "abstain" (or "present", or whatever)
until more information about how a change would be implemented were made
available.

But under these circumstances, my vote won't count for anything because
it's being counted as being the same as "not interested" or "don't
care". I'm being forced to decide between two choices, neither of which
expresses my opinion on the matter.
--
Jim Henderson