Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Project Name Change Vote
  • From: Adam Spiers <ASpiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 16:20:57 +0000
Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/10/2019 14.24, Ish Sookun wrote:
On 10/11/19 10:26 PM, L A Walsh wrote:
So you have no way of recording that someone was there for the vote
but didn't vote?

The board has asked the community to express their wish regarding
changing or keeping the current project name. How does putting an
"Abstain" vote option help in finding consensus?

It helps by accurately capturing the opinion of the community.

Imagine that 100 people vote to change the name, and 90 people vote
against changing it. You would probably conclude that there was a
majority of ~53% for changing the name, so it should be changed.

Now imagine the same vote, but there was also an "Abstain" option, and
that another 1000 people clicked on it. So, out of 1,190 voters, only
~8% voted to change the name.

Surely you can see that there is a huge difference between 53% and
8% in this scenario?

Some doesn't vote and someone goes to vote but then doesn't vote. Does
it actually help?

IMO, yes.

Yes, it clearly helps. I don't think this is even a particularly
subjective topic. It's standard voting practice, e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/None_of_the_above

Honestly, it scares me a bit that we are even having this discussion.

If you want to know what we think, that is.
If you want to ignore us, then go ahead :-/

Right. Please don't ignore us!