Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Project Name Change Vote
  • From: Adam Spiers <ASpiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 15:19:23 +0000
Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/10/2019 17.02, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
[...]
Good description and far better than the current poll! Should we restart
the poll?

thinking a bit more: I strongly suggest to stop the vote, it's
useless. not everybody will read the description you gave above or
even a blog post.

If I look at campaigns and petitions in Germany, I've never seen such
short description without any explanation ;(

So, my proposal:
* Write up a detailed blog post explaining why we vote and what are
the options
* Restart the vote and use the description for the vote and give a
link to the blog post
* When you restart, consider adding an option: Abstain. Several folks
asked for that...

With the current questions and limited information, everybody can read
into the poll what they want and I doubt that the board will be able
to get the backing they ask for,

I agree. I'm sorry to say it but I take back my statement from an
earlier thread: the way this is being handled *is* similarly
problematic to the Brexit referendum on many levels.[0]

It's a highly confusing binary vote which omits all the important
details, conflates numerous issues into one emotional question,
doesn't define a clear outcome, and doesn't offer an option to
abstain. It even has similarly unpleasant undertones (e.g. "we need
to break free from evil SUSE and make our project great again").
These are probably entirely unintentional, but nevertheless some
people will "read between the lines" and detect them by implication
through what has *not* been said explicitly.

If it proceeds there is a significant risk of damaging the community.

Many people have already pointed out these flaws, and nothing seems to
have been done to address them, so I don't understand why the vote is
still proceeding.

[0] Sorry Richard if you are reading this, but we need to learn from
history, even if it's painful and the parallels are at a large
distance.