[opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Project Name Change Vote
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 19:59:52 -0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 14:46:52 +0000, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

( ) I am in favor of keeping the name "openSUSE" for our project and
would like to see the Board and SUSE to work together to establish
whatever is necessary (in terms of trademarks and other agreements) to
allow for that.

( ) I am in favor of changing the name of our project from "openSUSE"
and replacing uses of the "openSUSE" name with a new name. I would
like to see the Board and SUSE to work together towards that goal.
(Next steps will include determining concrete proposals and likely a
follow-up vote on the actual choice.)

It seems to me this proposal is a step in the right direction, but still
not on-point with what we should be looking to vote on.

Here's the problem I see with this. If I vote that I think we should
change the name, and that option wins, then proposals for alternate names
and processes are put together, and we vote on that (maybe?). So if I
think the name should change, then a second vote is held for what the
name should become, and I vote in that for something that loses, now I
feel like "well, maybe we shouldn't have changed the name at all rather
than pick this name".

It shouldn't be a choice between "keep things they way they are" and
"change things" followed by a vote for "here's how we'll change things"
*if and only if* the community votes to change things.

Give us a clear choice between "keep things as they are" or a solid
proposal for what we should change *to*, not something nebulous that may
or may not be a better choice when we come to a second vote.

And give us an explicit "abstain" option. L A Walsh is correct - there
is a difference between not voting due to apathy and not voting because
we don't think the choices presented are good choices. The reason for
abstaining *matters*, and if one were to decide to abstain because the
choices aren't complete or well-defined enough to make an informed
decision, that's different than "I was on holiday and didn't realize
there was a vote until I got back and it was too late" or "I didn't get
the e-mail because even though it was sent to a working opensuse.org mail
alias, it didn't get delivered".

(I'd also add that regardless of what choice was made, I would expect the
project and SUSE to work together to implement the decision - if there's
a possibility of that not happening, that needs to be sorted out first
before any vote is held by the community).
--
Jim Henderson