Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Project Name Change Vote

On 10/11/19 3:42 AM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am 10.10.19 um 16:59 schrieb Axel Braun:

Of course there is not. The board made it clear it expects the Brexit
outcome. The more vague the vote is, the more freedom you create to discuss
the outcome.

my first impulse was to say 'stop bullshitting', but this is of course a
phrase that is not appropriate for a public mailing list.

In fact there is no such expectation or desire, or has ever been.
Sorry Axel, I'm just very frustrated by this IMO obvious waste of time. For
all the reasons mentioned here. We're basically in a loose-loose situation
and having a vote won't change a thing.

Well i'll disagree here, on one hand a clear "No Change" vote will basically end the discussion and will be something we can point to for years to come if someone was to choose to bring up the issue again. At the same time a clear "Change" vote will lead to the development of a plan to slowly transition away from the "openSUSE" name, likely first starting by not using "openSUSE" in the foundation name then coming up with a timeframe to rebrand other parts of the project. One could make a reasonable case that the best time to move away from the openSUSE name in the Distro's maybe around the next major version of Leap which is still some years away. But the critical part to this discussion around foundation is that if the community decides to move away from the openSUSE name even if we take 5 years to implement it the board is happy not to involve the openSUSE trademark in foundation discussions because we are reasonably satisfied that in the short to medium term SUSE will continue to allow us freedom to use the trademark as needed, our concern has always been the longer term should SUSE change owner then significantly change management and head in a different direction.

Really the only way we will end up in a worse position with no clear direction is if we end up at around a 50-50 decision which would signal that the community is genuinely really divided on the issue.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30