Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE.Asia Summit Community Meeting Notes from 04.10.2019

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 10:19 AM, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/8/19 1:55 AM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM, ddemaio <ddemaio@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Building Community
*

Need for more documentation on use of:*

OBS

OBS has extensive user documentation on https://openbuildservice.org,
however it doesn't cover packaging with the help of OBS, just usage of
OBS tooling by itself. Explaining the concepts of RPM/deb/Arch packaging
with the help of OBS in more detail would probably be a benefit to the
service.

Duncan Mac-Vicar has written a excellent guide for this https://duncan.codes/tutorials/rpm-packaging/ we just need to reference it in more places or maybe intergrate it somehow with his permission.

Huh, that's pretty nice

*

Release media content for countries on their country specific platform.

Passwords and account name along with administrator/POC for the
account should be listed on the openSUSE social media wiki page
to keep sustainability of the account.

This does sound like a way too easy path to have a bunch of trolls
infest the accounts, I would suggest having board be gatekeepers, so
sending email to the board would result in getting the passwords
instead. Having that fact noted somewhere on the wiki would be great as
well.

I think the point is more that the wiki page should only be visible to certain people probably the board, but also Doug who is managing most of openSUSE's social media.

Yeah, that wasn't clear from the initial email

*

Good to revive openSUSE Education distribution

Do we need a separate distribution for that? As far as I'm aware the
only difference between Leap Leap and Edu Leap was additional software
from an OBS repository. If there was a way to get that easier with the
standard Leap, we could avoid having to set up another image to build
(even if that's not that hard ;)

If those packages were added into Leap we could then do a separate build that preinstall's them and bypasses some of the installer steps like selecting a desktop to make the process simpler. openSUSE Edu was a well established brand that the openSUSE project could leverage by publishing a tailor made Leap install under that name.

That's more or less what I mean, with packages in Leap we can do much
more "openSUSE way" things, where we are actually using set of software
from a tested repository. A pattern wouldn't hurt either.

I have been thinking about how to leverage that brand ever since Edu was
abandoned, and I haven't done anything just because I knew it would be
way too much work in areas that aren't of particular interest to me
personally. I can only offer help if somebody is willing to take this on
;)

*

Find solutions for community to contribute to the heroes

Join the meetings Heroes have every month, they are very open to
contributions, as long as you are willing to do your best ;)
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Heroes#Communication

In my experience, it's one of the best teams to deal within the
project in terms of communication, it just needs more contributors.

I think this point possibly ended up worded slightly wrongly, from memory we more discussed making it more possible for the heroes to do more, although it was a brief discussion as there is already ongoing work happening in this area.

At the same time it was also mentioned that currently the heroes meeting happens at a really inconvenient time for most people in Asia.

Huh, haven't thought of that, I guess that will require some further
development. The topics mentioned during the meetings are already noted
on progress-o-o, if community got a way to contribute to that list, as
well as have access to the meetings logs, it would probably improve ease
of entry to a degree. Outside of that, there is the heroes mailing list.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world