Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 07:28:57 +0200
On Monday, 7 October 2019 17:36 Christian Boltz wrote:
As an example: Today, SUSE could in theory go crazy and deny using the
"openSUSE" trademark instantly - simply because they own the
trademark. (To make it clear: there's no indication they'll do this,
and they would probably harm themself by doing so.)
OTOH, when we have a foundation (and decide to keep the name
"openSUSE"), we'll make sure that the foundation gets non-revokable
permissions to use the openSUSE trademark, or even owns the trademark,
which means SUSE wouldn't be able to stop us from using the name
openSUSE.

If you want to go down this path and consider what could SUSE do to harm
openSUSE project if they went crazy, do you think the name and trademark
issue is the biggest problem? To me, it sounds a bit like the famous "If
someone gets the password to your system, he can log in and change your
desktop theme."

Michal Kubecek