Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
On Fri, 2019-10-04 at 13:34 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le vendredi 04 octobre 2019 à 11:53 +0200, Richard Brown a écrit :
Not holding this vote now commits the Project and it's Board to a
long
drawn out series of negotiations with SUSE regarding the
possibilities
of the Foundation being able to own or use the openSUSE Trademarks.

Not disagreeing or agreeing with your statement, but what you're
discussing here is clearly related to the Foundation topic.

On the other hand, Simon said:

"The push for changing the name is not directly tied to the
creation
of a foundation."

What I see here is that we as a community do not even agree on the
context of the vote and what it should mean. This makes me highly
uncomfortable.

Simon's point is valid, in the sense that there are a number of
community members who have been pushing for a rebranding and relogoing
of openSUSE long before the Board decided to persue a foundation.

Those community members arguments, around shedding negative
connotations, clearing up misconceptions about a closer control by SUSE
than really exists, etc are valid.

But they're not of interest to me nor nearly as severe or as time
sensitive. IF they were the only issues, sure, we could all stick our
head in the sand and ignore those community members indefinately.

But in the context of the Foundation and the problems of establishing
an independant legal entity with a name that overlaps that of another,
are huge and not insurmountable without an insane amount of work.
Including from SUSE, an organisation which from time to time needs
significant persuation to be responsive to openSUSE's needs.

So, like I keep saying, we need this vote to indicate the communities
wishes. This cant be delegated to the Board like other big decisions
because we already have clear indications from the community that this
is a divisive issue. The fact this thread is still going shows exactly
how divisive it is.

But the fact that the community doesn't have a singular clear view on
this topic is precisely we need at least one vote to start piecing
together a picture of where opinion lies.

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
HRB 247165, AG München
GF: Felix Imendörffer