[opensuse-project] Re: Project name and logo discussion
  • From: "Matwey V. Kornilov" <matwey.kornilov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:39:09 +0300
20.06.2019 6:52, Simon Lees пишет:

On 20/06/2019 05:03, Matwey V. Kornilov wrote:

Hi,

You say that an agreement will be required between SUSE and future
openSUSE Foundation to use the logo. Given that openSUSE Leap is based
on SLES in anyway, wouldn't an agreement still be required in any case
to keep the existing development process integration level?

To keep it the way it is now yes, SUSE chooses to publish its source
code in a very easy way for Leap to consume pre release, without this
Leap development couldn't start properly until SLE is released presuming
SUSE chooses to continue to make there source code open to non
customers. It has to be said that Leap 15.1 was released before SLE 15
SP1 and SUSE has benefited greatly from the extra testing it has
received from Leap users using the same code base. SUSE wants more
people using its code base because it leads to better quality products
for its customers so there are benefits to this approach both ways.

There will also be agreements between SUSE and openSUSE with regards to
SUSE managing the open build service hardware on its behalf aditionally
USE would have to recreate a tumbleweed fork internally to produce
SLE-16 internally so if such agreements ceased to exist it would have a
seriously negative affect on SUSE just as it would openSUSE which is why
the board has been pretty confident that we will be able to sort these
issues out.

Well. Thank you for the answer. Putting it into other words, there is no
benefit for renaming openSUSE until we want to fork fully independent
community driver distro.