[opensuse-project] Re: Project name and logo discussion
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 19:19:32 -0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 11:28:25 +0200, Christian Imhorst wrote:

I am afraid that renaming openSUSE would not be like Fedeora vs. RedHat.
It would be more like OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice where many people are
confused and they don't know wich one to choose.

Why would it be more like OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice? If openSUSE
changed its name to something else, the openSUSE name would not be in
concurrent use with whatever came next.

No confusion there. Maybe a period of "Chameleon Linux - formerly known
as openSUSE" or something like that to bridge the names could be done.

Rebranding is tricky (don't get me wrong), but in my mind, this would be
clearer than Fedora vs. RedHat, because with that, the original name for
the community distribution continued to be used by the enterprise
products.

Here, we already have confusion between "SUSE" and "openSUSE" - as I
mentioned before, on various venues, I've had people respond very angrily
when they've asked SLE questions in openSUSE venues and have been told
they need to talk to SUSE and that the commercial products are not
supported by the openSUSE community (nor are they sold by the community -
seriously, I have people ask questions about SLE pricing on occasion who
then get pissed off because the openSUSE project can't answer their
question on Facebook).

The closeness of the names *creates* confusion as it is because people
think that because openSUSE contains SUSE, the two are completely
interchangeable from a support and business perspective.

--
Jim Henderson