  • From: Pierre Böckmann <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:47:35 +0200
On Wednesday, 12 June 2019 10:02:55 CEST Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
I think you are underestimating the amount of resources (of all types)
SUSE has put into openSUSE in all periods, even in those in which, as
you wrote, "SUSE barely invested anything".

To my eyes (being both a SUSE employee and a community contributor) the
connection between openSUSE and SUSE is stronger and closer of what some
people in this thread seem to believe. I seriously doubt any of both
would survive without the other.

I am not as involved as you are, Ancor, but I do have no doubt that both could
survive without one another. Nonetheless that is nothing anyone would ever
really want to aim for and I seriously doubt that a foundation of a different
name than openSUSE does harm our connection.

I already made that comparison but I will write it here again: You don't need
to be married and have the same last name to be a couple. It even can help the
relationship if each stays or gains some degree of independence.

Forming a bond between those two brands then might be as valuable as sharing a
brand.

All that is speculation. And will be until the point where we have to define
the rules of a newly formed relationship between the community backed by their
own foundation and brand and SUSE as a company. This can define the degree of
support and what SUSE will continue to contribute in resources etc.

Well, all this given the fact that we as a community decide that we really
want to make the step into that degree of independence. I am still in favor of
this way but I wouldn't be sad if we decide to stay with the current brand.