On 12/06/2019 17:32, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 6/11/19 7:40 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Ronan Chagas <ronisbr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Richard,

Em 11 de jun de 2019, à(s) 09:06, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
escreveu:

But I do think this example illustrates some of the factors we need to
consider on this topic besides the emotive "but we like the current
name" feeling :)

Indeed this was very informative. I was not thinking that deep. Well, now you
gave me an understandable “case study".

One question: openSUSE has a massive investment of SUSE, there are many SUSE
employees that work with openSUSE. Do you think that when everything becomes a
new Linux distro, managed by the new foundation, will SUSE eventually decrease
the investment? I mean, in a long time frame, can we start to loose the support
of such big company?

To put it bluntly, it wouldn't be the first time that SUSE has done
something like that to openSUSE. This project has gone through a
period in which SUSE barely invested anything into openSUSE and
survived. I'm fairly confident we'd be okay if we had to weather
another storm like that.

I think you are underestimating the amount of resources (of all types)
SUSE has put into openSUSE in all periods, even in those in which, as
you wrote, "SUSE barely invested anything".

To my eyes (being both a SUSE employee and a community contributor) the
connection between openSUSE and SUSE is stronger and closer of what some
people in this thread seem to believe. I seriously doubt any of both
would survive without the other.

Yeah as someone who also gets to see both sides, it would cost SUSE significantly more in staffing then they currently sponsor openSUSE just to create there next major release. Due to the amount of development work that goes into the SLE base system + reviews etc from community contributors, then you get to the packaging side were for some of the packages i'm responsible for in SLE see far more submissions from community members I co maintain with then myself, so thats more work i'd have to do.

Then you get the fact that the stability of the next major SLE release is far better then it would be otherwise because it has been tested by a huge number of tumbleweed users and SLE 15-SP1 is a similar story with Leap 15.1. So quite simply at the moment there is no way that someone could write any sort of business case for SUSE to abandon openSUSE the benefits SUSE currently receives are far far more then the amount it invests. Unless this changes which I don't see happening there is practically no chance of SUSE leaving openSUSE.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30