Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal for Decision Making Process for the formation of our Foundation
  • From: Sébastien 'sogal' Poher <sogal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 20:39:14 +0200
Hi Richard, Hi all,

Le jeudi 06 juin 2019 à 03:11:48, Richard Brown a écrit :
[...]
- Topics surrounding the formation of the Foundation should be raised
for discussion on opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- If the discussion produces a clear consensus, as interpreted by the
openSUSE Board, then the Board should vote to adopt that consensus as
a formal decision of the Project. This vote should require a 2/3s
Majority of the Board like required under the Board Election Amendment
rules [1]
- The interpretation of consensus by the Board should be communicated
in advance of any vote by the Board, and should be open to challenge
on the opensuse-project mailinglist.
- If the discussion does not produce a clear consensus, a vote of
openSUSE Members should be conducted
- The result of any vote that involves at least 2/3s of the current
membership will be considered immediately binding as a formal decision
of the Project

That makes sense, I do agree with it.

- The result of any vote that receives less than 2/3s of the current
membership will not be considered binding, but will be considered
indicative.
- The openSUSE Board will then be expected to interpret that
indicative result and conduct its own vote on the topic, requiring a
2/3s majority for any decision.

I am not comfortable with the idea that the Board's vote may overcome the
comminuty vote. I would rather say that if less than 2/3 of the current
membership use their right of speech on a vote, then it's up to the Board to
wheter vote of the topic (following the rules you mention above) or explain
better the topic and reconduct the vote.

To give a real world example - the above policy would mean that the
current Name/Logo discussion is on track for a membership vote, as no
one in their right mind should think that the discussion has a clear
consensus :)

The above proposal would only apply for individual aspects of the
overarching effort to establish a Foundation for the Project. I do not
propose it should apply for the actual formation of the Foundation.

For that I believe there should be a final confirmatory vote of the
openSUSE Membership.
That should require 2/3s participation to be considered valid, and it
will be that vote that will formally reflect the communities agreement
or rejection of the formation of a Foundation for the Project.
I feel the Board should not have a fallback role on such a significant
topic for the Project.
Failure of the vote to receive 2/3rs participation in the vote should
be considered a rejection of the Foundation, due to lack of sufficient
interest from the Membership.

If everyone agrees, I think the above model should let us move quickly
on many aspects of the Foundation we need to approach in the coming
months, while ensuring everyone has their chance to have their say.
It should also ensure that we're all collectively happy both on
individual aspects of the Foundation and the concept as a whole once
we have a better picture of what it will look like in practice.

Beside my disagreement on one point above, this seems like a rationnal and
clear proposal to me. If everyone follows it and gets involved in a
inteligent way, we will be able to proceed all these topics and issues
efficiently.

Best regards,

--
'When there is no more room at school, the dumb will walk the Earth.'

Sébastien 'sogal' Poher