  • From: Pierre Böckmann <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 15:11:23 +0200
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 14:36:19 CEST Stasiek Michalski wrote:
On śro, Jun 5, 2019 at 2:18 PM, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx>

wrote:
On 6/5/19 5:45 AM, Pierre Böckmann wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 11:18:26 CEST Mathias Homann wrote:
Am 2019-06-03 08:01, schrieb Stasiek Michalski:
Hi,

Here's just one little bit of food for thought.

I was just chitchatting with a coworker about this, and he said:

"If opensuse changes their name whey will be just one of many
unknown /
new linux distributions, while right now they are one of the market
leaders"

Do we really WANT to be "just some small new distro" instead one of
the
big five?

Cheers
MH

Hi Mathias,

I don't think that we are becoming "just some small new distro". The
Community
stays the same, only with a strong supporting foundation behind it.
Neither
are we cutting the ties to SUSE, nor do we rebase the distro on any
other
technological basis. Leap will continue to be Leap, and same applies
Tumbleweed and the openSUSE project.

I am sure that a name change and the new build foundation will get
some media
buzz around the globe. So we probably might even get much more
attention than
we got in the last few years and we might profit from that
attention, too.

Sorry but that is all speculation, we might get media attention we
might ..... and flies in the face of historical evidence

Mandrake -> Mandriva -> what is it now? Does anyone care?

This is actually a very powerful example, Mandrake had to change the
name,
because of copyright issues, to Mandriva which went under a few years
later,
without any agreements with community to continue using the name in
case this
happens. Then Mageia and a few other projects formed out of this. This
exact
thing is why we need to discuss if we want this to repeat if SUSE goes
under.

I'm not saying it will, but all of the discussion is based on the
history of
other open source corporations. :P

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world

That's exactly the point and why I wrote: " Keeping the name openSUSE would be
a legal issue because the logo and name
include those of SUSE. This simply leads to copyright and trademark issues. A
potential foundation - which is a very good idea to have btw - would in it's
pure existence be dependent on SUSE granting the right to use the name and
branding / trademarks etc."

And I would rather prefer not to be dependent on SUSE, their willingness to
grant us the right to use their name, brand and logo and their ability to stay
a healthy company.
I am sure they will, and most likely they will always stay supportive and
willing to grant us the necessary rights. But that are no less "mights" and
"coulds" than those mentioned before. There is still a realistic possibility
that for instance some corporation acquires SUSE and decides that SUSE has to
save money and stop supporting the openSUSE project or the new owners decide
that they don't want to continue to share copyrights and trademarks with the
community and the openSUSE project and there are so many other scenarios
possible which are problematic.

I believe that we can master the challenges of re-branding and even benefit
from it. We can and will continue to cooperate with SUSE but we gain
independence and empowering the community for the time being. Additionally I
don't think that our situation is comparable with Mandrake / Mandriva /
Mageia. We have the chance to make the transition as smooth as possible
because we are not forced to change name. But some day we might be if we don't
go this way with will of our own.