Hi,

Am 05.06.19 um 14:32 schrieb Michal Kubecek:
On Monday, 3 June 2019 10:35 Richard Brown wrote:
So whatever your views, please sound off in this thread, even if your
view is already echoed by others.

Do you think openSUSE should change it's name?

My view is: no in general, strong no to any change dropping "SUSE" from
the name. Come on, we already ditched "Linux", if we ditch "SUSE" too,
what will be left? :-)

OK, seriously now. While I do understand that renaming openSUSE to
something not containing "SUSE" would make certain administrative tasks
easier, I don't think it would be worth the harm it would do on general
perception of the distribution.

In my eyes, the connection to SUSE was always something that made the
distribution interesting, what made it stand out in the ever growing
list of nameless "Yet Another Linux Distribution"'s (and that was long
before I joined SUSE). Recently we made that connection even stronger
with Leap but dropping "SUSE" from the name would inevitably be seen as
a step in the opposite direction. The fact that actual technical
disconnection of openSUSE from SUSE would be unfeasible for years (if
ever) doesn't change anything. The perception and irrational factors are
way more important than we would like.

You may use Fedora as an example of successful rename but I believe the
position of Fedora is much weaker than the position of old RHL used to
be. I don't claim it's only because of the rename (the raise of Ubuntu
is surely to blame) but I believe the name is part of the problem and
I believe it did harm its position. And one more thing to consider: IIRC
the impuls for renaming came from Red Hat which makes the situation
completely different from ours.

As for logo change, I don't think it's needed either but I don't really
mind. I would certainly appreciate a decent shade of green (i.e. exact
opposite of recent SUSE branding changes).

usually I stay pretty silent about those kind of discussions especially typical
"metoo" posts but in this very case I want to raise my opinion and have to say
that I agree 100% with what Michal mentioned before with the addition that I
also would discard any ideas of significant logo change.
So at least one cannot say later that people didn't give their feedback.

That being said I'm currently not affected by any formal issues the current
setup creates for certain groups. So if it's absolutely unreasonable to keep the
actual setup then this opinion probably does not matter.

Wolfgang