On śro, Jun 5, 2019 at 2:18 PM, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/5/19 5:45 AM, Pierre Böckmann wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 11:18:26 CEST Mathias Homann wrote:
Am 2019-06-03 08:01, schrieb Stasiek Michalski:
Hi,

Here's just one little bit of food for thought.

I was just chitchatting with a coworker about this, and he said:

"If opensuse changes their name whey will be just one of many unknown /
new linux distributions, while right now they are one of the market
leaders"

Do we really WANT to be "just some small new distro" instead one of the
big five?

Cheers
MH

Hi Mathias,

I don't think that we are becoming "just some small new distro". The Community
stays the same, only with a strong supporting foundation behind it. Neither
are we cutting the ties to SUSE, nor do we rebase the distro on any other
technological basis. Leap will continue to be Leap, and same applies to
Tumbleweed and the openSUSE project.

I am sure that a name change and the new build foundation will get some media
buzz around the globe. So we probably might even get much more attention than
we got in the last few years and we might profit from that attention, too.

Sorry but that is all speculation, we might get media attention we might ..... and flies in the face of historical evidence

Mandrake -> Mandriva -> what is it now? Does anyone care?

This is actually a very powerful example, Mandrake had to change the name,
because of copyright issues, to Mandriva which went under a few years later,
without any agreements with community to continue using the name in case this
happens. Then Mageia and a few other projects formed out of this. This exact
thing is why we need to discuss if we want this to repeat if SUSE goes under.

I'm not saying it will, but all of the discussion is based on the history of
other open source corporations. :P

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world