Dne pondělí 3. června 2019 11:59:45 CEST, Simon Lees napsal(a):
On 03/06/2019 18:05, Richard Brown wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 08:02, Stasiek Michalski
<hellcp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From my point of view, there a number of benefits of renaming the
openSUSE Project, especially when considering the announced-at-oSC
intention to form an "openSUSE Foundation" to be a standalone legal
entity representing the project.
For any such entity to be fully autonomously functional, it will need
to have at least some control/ownership/rights to it's own name &
trademark.
openSUSE's current name makes such things rather complicated.
Trademarks are only enforceable if they're considered unique.
Right now, we operate under a situation where both SUSE and openSUSE
are owned by SUSE, therefore are considered 'unique'.
This has some practical side effects - for example, with domain names.
SUSE can't allow broad reuse of their mark without risking the
enforceability of their primary SUSE trademark, therefore SUSE
effectively have to register and own every possible *opensuse*.*
domain that the Project or any of our ancillary communities use, in
order to protect their overarching SUSE Trademark.
SUSE does a great job of making such domains available for openSUSE's
use under the current circumstances, but this occasionally leads to
situations that are awkward and uncomfortable for all involved.
For example, the openSUSE Indonesia community had to transfer the
domain they registered to run their local community sites/mirrors to
the control of SUSE, which no one really wanted to do and was
logistically problematic given the details of how Indonesia's domain
registry works.
Figuring out how/whether the future Foundation could own/control
any openSUSE domains is an open topic.
Talking speculatively, based on casual conversations and no legal
advice (yet), my personal expectation is that if the Project decides
to keep operating under the name "openSUSE", then there is no way the
Project will ever own the Trademark around the Project.
While I'm confident SUSE will do all it can to support openSUSE in
this area, we will all likely be limited in what we can do in the
areas of naming, trademarks, sub-projects, domains, etc, as a result.
Renaming the Project on the other hand would allow openSUSE to form
it's foundation under that new name. Given the amicable and
cooperative nature of our transition towards this 'less dependant'
governance model, I can foresee a situation where, if the Project
decides to rename, we operate under both the new and the old name for
a period to avoid a too disruptive switch over from "openSUSE" to
"whatever" - this worked pretty smoothly back in the days of SUSE
Linux 10.0/10.1 which were produced "by openSUSE" for example.
So despite the challenges and disruption that any rename could cause,
I do see the benefits, especially around the trickier parts of the
upcoming Foundation negotiations.
That said, my view is only one. if the community is abhorrently
against the idea of renaming, that's good to know, and the Board will
factor in the feedback into our negotiations with SUSE as we work
towards forming the Foundation.
Either way, we really need to have a good understanding of what the
community at large feel on this topic. If we don't have the discussion
now, it will likely be too late once legal entities and agreements
between SUSE & openSUSE are formalised.
So whatever your views, please sound off in this thread, even if your
view is already echoed by others.
Do you think openSUSE should change it's name?

Shortly, no, despite all Richard's good arguments, no, I don't see it
beneficial.

Again keeping it short, No, the board has been given quite some
guarantee we will be able to continue to use openSUSE as long as we need
/ want. If that was to ever change and we no longer could i'd be all for
creating a "fork" to a new name based off, "openSUSE is changing its
name because it's working relationship with SUSE has come to the point
were we feel we can no longer share the same name". This would generate
more then enough press that whatever we change to will become instantly
recognised, it would equally create enough bad press for SUSE that they
would consider whether the choice is wise. But until that point comes
hopefully it never does i'm all for keeping the existing name it is
known and represents everything the project is so well

I fully agree here. I see the tight bound between openSUSE and SUSE as very
beneficial.
As explained elsewhere, the change would require huge amount of work and IMHO
we already do have a lot of work to do, so I don't think the change is worth
of the work needed.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu