  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 09:48:05 +0200
Gesendet: Dienstag, 04. Juni 2019 um 00:38 Uhr
Von: "Simon Lees" <sflees@xxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-project] Project name and logo discussion

On 04/06/2019 02:09, Robert Schweikert wrote:
Hi,

On 6/3/19 10:17 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 15:55, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So the underlying question, and with that back to my intro. Is there a
statement by the board or others as to the underlying reasons why a
foundation is being pursuit (again)?  And why now?

The Board is working on a briefing document to explain such things,
but the need for us all to rest a bit after the exhausting Board
Meeting/oSC combination has meant that this discussion has leapt onto
these lists before that document has been finalised.

The Board will produce this document as soon as it can; in my case, I
do need to spend a few work days on my regular work, so I cant promise
exactly when I'll be able to contribute much to that drafting effort.

Meanwhile though, thanks to the amazing work of the Video team, there
is a solid recording of the discussion the Board started on this topic
at oSC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUZmc4CXzFQ&t=1s

It does a good job of explaining why a Foundation is being pursued and
in what form.

Thanks for the link.

In a few short bulletpoints for those who cant be bothered to watch
the video.

- The Primary motivation is to enable the openSUSE Project to be able
to receive, spend, and sign it's own contracts/sponsorships/money
- This should be _in addition to_, not _in replacement of_ the
exceptionally positive and good working relationship openSUSE has with
SUSE
-  Both the Board and SUSE are keen on using this opportunity to
codify the nature of that close working relationship into the
by-laws/charter of the Foundation (likely to be a German Stiftung)
- I personally refer to this effort and openSUSE seeking "less
dependence" on SUSE, not "independence"

Hopefully you can see how the above tenants have learned the lessons
of previous efforts and I would describe this current effort as the
most amicable, mutually respectful, and uniquely "openSUSE/SUSEian",
with the vast majority so far seeming to agree with the broad strokes
of the topic.

With this as goals I think sticking with the existing name and branding
would properly continue to express the relationship and the trademark
issues should be able to be overcome in a way that reaches a workable
level without being a burden on everyone.

Yes I think this is the important point, if there is widespread support
for a change of name now is the right time to have that discussion but
at the same time no one is saying that we need to or really should
change the name in order to make the foundation proposal work.

We should think about what would happen, if we were change the community name
and what exists.
If we change to the suggested chameleon foundation, we can mixed up with the
Gecko Linux (which is based on us).
We should watch all these risks and what can happen with such a change.