[opensuse-project] Re: Project name and logo discussion
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 21:06:22 -0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 03 Jun 2019 10:35:03 +0200, Richard Brown wrote:

Do you think openSUSE should change it's name?

Short answer: Yes, mostly for reasons you've described already.

But one area that adds to my agreement that it's time for a change: In
our forums and social media spaces, we regularly are identified as "SUSE"
and people ask questions about SLE that have nothing to do with the
project. There's significant confusion for people who have purchased the
enterprise products that they can ask for (and receive) help and
information about SUSE Linux Enterprise on the openSUSE forums, the
openSUSE Facebook page, and the openSUSE Facebook group. It's not a
daily occurrence, but it's not an infrequent occurrence.

Changing the name to not include SUSE will make the delineation extremely
clear. I've had people *argue* with me, as someone who admins the forums
and manages the FB presence, about whether or not it's appropriate for
them to ask SUSE Linux Enterprise questions in those venues when I've
directed them to an official SUSE support (or sales) venue.

I'm nice about it, but if someone wants to ask for pricing information
about SLE, the openSUSE social media venues are not the right place to be
- and I point them to SUSE Sales. Often that leads to "why is nobody
answering the SUSE sales chat? And why won't you just give me an
answer?", which looks bad for everyone.

--
Jim Henderson