On 03/06/2019 19:15, Richard Brown wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 11:34, John Salvatore Fontanelli <commel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SUSE owns
the trademark and the names and as holder they can allow "us" the use
of the name.

While this is true, as openSUSE transitions to having it's own legal
entity, you should consider the possibility that such a grant of
trademark use could have significantly limiting strings attached.

Even without a legal entity, openSUSE already operates with
significant constraints around the use of its name, which you can see
in our Trademark Policy [1] and the examples I gave in my post.

If openSUSE keeps its current name, I would be absolutely shocked if
we manage the form the Foundation under the name "openSUSE" without
significant additional restrictions atop of the status quo.
And when considering situations like that we've had with openSUSE
Indonesia, and other regional openSUSE groups already, this is an area
where any additional restrictions are likely to cause significant
additional pain for the community.
Maybe we should wait and here what if any restrictions these will be, so
far in our discussions the board has not been made aware of anything

It's also worth considering that a huge amount of the Board's time is
currently spend dealing with requests to use the openSUSE Trademarks,
requiring what feels often like endless discussions and negotiations
between interested parties and SUSE.
We often can't share many of these details in our public minutes, but
there have been times when the Board have had little time to deal with
anything else, to the detriment of the Project as a whole.

This has not been a major issue in the last year, and even so we will still have just the same issues with the new name plus maybe more as we may not be as able to depend on SUSE's legal team to defend any issues like they currently do with openSUSE on numerous occasions.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30