Re: [opensuse-project] 2019-04-02 board meeting minutes
Hi Christian,

Am 17.04.19 um 22:13 schrieb Christian Boltz:
Hello,

thanks for the report.

== Foundation/Independence ==

* we need to decide which way (e.V., joining an umbrella foundation)
makes sense - topic for the face to face meeting, feedback on
opensuse-project@ is of course welcome

I apologize if I missed the note, but can you point me to the vision document of an independent openSUSE? I am sure if you guys discuss such an fundamental move, there is some writeup?

* Simon will write up a summary of the options of umbrella foundations
* in general feedback from SUSE about becoming independent is positive,
but we've also heard a concern that independence could be driven by
fundamental things, not practical reasons

What else could that be than "fundamental things" that would drive us away? If Mom is doing the laundry and serving lunch on Sundays, why would you ever move out? Not for practical reasons, right?

* if ever needed, we could ignore whatever SUSE does and go our own way

Sorry to say it that bluntly, but this sounds a bit naive.

* a foundation / independence would make legal stuff like GDPR our
business
* Simon will talk to Ciaran how we could handle GDPR and other legal
stuff

For sure Ciaran is one of the most friendliest and helpful lawyers this planet has, but he is a SUSE employee. I am sure you want to ask him in his role of a community member, but hey, to me that feels a bit like asking Daddy to organize the moveout. We should not put him in that situation.

Wouldn't it be a good exercise to find an independent lawyer, work the topic through with her, and in the end make sure that costs are handled?

== mail hosting using mailbox.org ==

We have an offer from Heinlein / mailbox org to make @opensuse.org mail
addresses real mailboxes.

Do our members want this? (Feedback on opensuse-project and @oSC