Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs
On 14/3/19 7:06 pm, Simon Lees wrote:

On 14/03/2019 18:32, Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. März 2019 um 03:35 Uhr
Von: "Lana Brindley" <lbrindley@xxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs

Most of openSUSE's current documentation is generated along side SUSE's so
talking to SUSE's documentation team is probably the best starting point.
As a result of this if you look at https://doc.opensuse.org/ it tends to
cover things that are in SLE very well but doesn't tend to cover areas
outside that,

Yeah, the problem I see is that there is no community-based team for these
docs, the community is just relying on a re-badging of the corporate docs.

for example there's a bunch of low hanging fruit in things like the Gnome
User Guide could probably be extended to other desktops like KDE and there
are probably a bunch of other features / things that we ship in openSUSE
that aren't in SLE that could equally make there way into openSUSE's
version of the documentation.

A content audit seems like a good place to start.

Since there's no mailing list or IRC any more, it's a little hard to know
how to go about building up a community around docs. Do you think this is
the best list to try and kick that off, or is there a more appropriate
place?

Given there seems to be interest you can ask the hero's nicely to create a
new mailing list or reactivate the old one (I don't know which is easier) we
only closed the old one due to inactivity.

Such a team exists. We had many questions on our wiki mailing list in the
past how to contribute to the real documentation of openSUSE, because this
documentation is only editable by the SUSE documentation team.

The community is only allowed to edit the wiki and that is the documentation
by the community at the moment.

This is maybe less true now, all the documentation has been open sourced and
is on github, although it's currently in SUSE's github which has
traditionally meant that SUSE isn't really expecting external contributions.
But still it is technically possible to create a pull request. But really it
would be best to discuss the best way forward with the documentation team,
they maybe willing and happy to accept pull requests as is they may also be
completely unprepared and not have the man power to review a significant
number of pull requests. Maybe it makes sense to do the work in some other
"New openSUSE feature branch", at worst its possible to fork the
documentation into openSUSE's github and work on new areas of the
documentation there still using SUSE's templates and methods for building the
docs. There might be other ways as well, but the best people to work that
through with is SUSE's documentation team. They are friendly people i've met
a bunch of them over breakfast at
some point.

Forking the repo only makes sense if the internal docs team is hostile to
community contributions, and I'm optimistic that that isn't the case. I suspect
it's more that the internal team is overwhelmed with internal work, and hasn't
been able to keep up with community contributions. So, we need to come up with
a way to manage community documentation that doesn't add extra burden on them.
I will contact them through internal communication channels and come up with a
few different options to take this forward.

Lana

--
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer - SUSE Manager

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you
can make words mean so many different things."