Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs
On 14/03/2019 12:54, Mike McCallister wrote:
On 3/13/2019 9:35 PM, Lana Brindley wrote:
On 14/03/2019 10:39, Simon Lees wrote:
Hi

On 14/03/2019 10:05, Lana Brindley wrote:
OK, I'll be that guy ;)

I can see that the OpenSUSE docs need some love and care (and that even
the docs mailing list got shut down a little while ago :\ ). I've had some
experience with open source docs communities in the past. What needs to be
done?

Lana

Most of openSUSE's current documentation is generated along side SUSE's so
talking to SUSE's documentation team is probably the best starting point.
As a result of this if you look at https://doc.opensuse.org/ it tends to
cover things that are in SLE very well but doesn't tend to cover areas
outside that,
Yeah, the problem I see is that there is no community-based team for these
docs, the community is just relying on a re-badging of the corporate docs.

for example there's a bunch of low hanging fruit in things like the Gnome
User Guide could probably be extended to other desktops like KDE and there
are probably a bunch of other features / things that we ship in openSUSE
that aren't in SLE that could equally make there way into openSUSE's
version of the documentation.
A content audit seems like a good place to start.

Since there's no mailing list or IRC any more, it's a little hard to know
how to go about building up a community around docs. Do you think this is
the best list to try and kick that off, or is there a more appropriate place?

Lana

Lana (and others),

I don't have a ton of spareĀ  time, but I'd be willing to be on a docs team. A
perfect way for this Member Emeritus to get back in the game. 8-) I also have
a lot of tech writers in my Twitter feed, and can spread the word that way.

Hooray! I also know a lot of Twittering tech writers, so once we have a good
place to gather them, I'll put a call out. I know it's not open, but what about
Slack or something? That's where the Write the Docs people are.

Lana

--
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer - SUSE Manager

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you
can make words mean so many different things."