Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal: Reforming openSUSE Membership To Better Reflect Our Ethos
On 27 February 2018 at 21:36, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

==
My biggest concern is the email alias and IRC cloak. Does the project
really want to give those to someone that files a few bugzillas with
no concern to how well they follow the guiding principle?

==
I further think there should be 2 stages of guiding principle enforcement.

If a member meets a first level of concern related to the guiding
principle, or abuse of the email alias / IRC cloak, the board should
have the ability to remove their membership. If the behaviour
worsens, then they can be banned from the mailinglists, etc. as second
level of response.

I do not like this suggestion

The Guiding Principles are expected to be followed for all people
involved in the openSUSE Project - Members and Non-Members

Your suggestion would create a model where Members would get an extra
'strike' where they could breach the Guiding Principles but avoid
severe sanction by 'just' loosing their Membership. Where as
non-Members would be far more likely to face removing from the
project.

Sure, being a member does open up that gradiated option, which I would
expect the Board to consider for a Member who is not compliant with
the guiding principles. But I do not like the idea of codifying that
Members would be immune from summary removal from the Project.
I think that's a judgement that should only be made by the Board, collectively.

Recent experience has solidified my opinion that the Board model works
well. I have more faith in not only it's collective ability to make
right decisions, but (more importantly) it's collective ability to
realise when it's decisions are wrong and take steps to correct them.
I don't think it would be in the Project's best interest to codify
rules that would remove options from their toolbox of dealing with
negative behaviour in the project.