[opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 07:08:41 +0200
On Sunday, 23 April 2017 0:51 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Of the projects which went to skyrocketing version numbers
(controversial in their own right), such as firefox, systemd, ...
none have dared to jump backwards. Because it'd fuck up version
comparisons everywhere.

Right. Just one thing from the top of my head:

mike@lion:~> rpm -qa --queryformat '%{VERSION}\n' | egrep '^42\.[12](\..*)?$'
| wc -l
23

I'm pretty sure there will be others, more subtle and harder to work
around (IIRC "zypper dup" is quite happy to downgrade a package if the
installed version is no longer available in any active repository).

Michal Kubeček