Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number
So we decided to take the 'leap' and made the most of the opportunity
available by SLE's version change.
I don't regret the decision, so far no one has raised any new
practical concerns regarding the decision, just emotional ones - and
we would have gotten such complaints whichever option we picked. The
challenge was picking the one we think we could be happiest with for
the long term, which I think we've managed.

I hope the future will give you right there, as nothing is more volatile than
version :-)

What give us the certitude we will be able to have this scheme during a
reasonable number of years (mean >5).
If after any new fusion, acquisition SUSE goes to Enterprise 1.0 ?
The time past prove there's not real warranty about it, so it is not
THE solution, but one solution for the present.

Worst case, lots of people on the big wide internet are now reading
about how Leap is very close to SLE and has synchronised their version
numbers. That's a message I'm quite happy to be spreading.
Which is fait enough to be acceptable. And the message I can personnaly use
for my customer, hey we will upgrade your openSUSE version from 42.x to 15.0
:-)

At the same time our dalliance with 42 and now jumping to 15 could be
seen to show openSUSE as a slightly eccentric, free spirited,
independent open source community, which we are, and I don't mind if
the world sees us that way.

Until there a decision to make the chameleon to have a beard, we safe and also
it is a good thing to have craziness with stable «boring» things ;-)

No one ever said every decision in open source has to make sense all
of the time, just that we do our best to make the most sense we can
all the time, which I think we are doing.

Which is a green attitude, isn't it?

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch