[opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Members retirement
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 18:01:22 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 06:56:25 +0100, Michal Hrusecky wrote:

Jim Henderson - 2:27 21.03.16 wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:03:20 +0100, Christian Boltz wrote:

Q: Will retired members retain their email & IRC cloak perks?

A: No, the intention is that retired members will no longer be
eligible for @opensuse.org email addresses and Freenode IRC cloaks.

So the plan is to break existing mail addresses once someone becomes
inactive? That makes it less likely that people actually use their
@opensuse.org mail address because "it could go away". That also
means less "advertising" for openSUSE.

I'd propose to keep the mail address even for retired members (unless
someone actively asks to drop it, or it starts bouncing mails).

I don't have such strong feelings for the IRC cloak, but keeping them
means more advertising for openSUSE whenever someone joins or leaves
a channel ;-)

I would have to agree - leave the e-mail forwarder in place, and the
IRC cloak (though I'm with Christian - I've been waiting for several
years for my IRC cloak to be set up, but I'm not on IRC that much
anyways, so that bothers me a lot less). Breaking an e-mail address
that people might use just because they don't care to vote seems
excessive.

It is not because they don't care to vote, it is because we haven't seen
any activity from them and they did not react to warnings that they will
loose it.
AFAIK domain registrators does it in similar manner. They send you few
email-s and if you don't react, you loose the e-mail. We can send
several mails as well.

Is there a way to see if e-mail is being forwarded to the user using the
address?

If it is, then it should be considered "in use" and not be deleted.
We're not going to make people want to come back if they're using
myuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx and it stops working for whatever reason, regardless
of attempts to contact.

Or do we attempt to contact through the @opensuse.org e-mail address as
well?