Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Members retirement
On 03/21/2016 10:45 AM, PatrickD Garvey wrote:
I want to emphasize the "Link Rot" aspect of disabling an email
address. It has been mentioned, but doesn't seem to be generating any
awareness of the problem it represents.

Email addresses are not just used in store and forward communications
systems. They are used in mailing list and forum communication. They
are also in design, training, use and standards documents and bug
reports. They appear in old blog and news articles. It is not
inappropriate for someone looking for additional historical
information to attempt communication with a "retired" participant. My
former colleagues at my previous employers know where to find me.

How do you view the side effect of disabling the forwarding of email
sent to an @openSUSE.org address on these uses?

Yes, I also think this is a problem and IMHO a very undesirable side
effect of the decisions made at the Board F2F meeting. Michal K., I
think, provided a very nice description of the problem.

However the reaction has been that those participating in the discussion
have been accused of not reading the meeting minutes and follow up
messages. Additionally there appears to be the insistence that there is
not really an impact by the coming changes.

Michal K. even proposed a potential solution that would allow the "safe
guarding" of @opensuse.org for only active members but this also appears
to be conveniently ignored.

The more or less logical conclusion from this would be to not use
@opensuse.org if you have one, as it may become disabled at some point
in the future and then people have no way of contacting you.

Later,
Robert

Public Cloud Architect LINUX
rjschwei@xxxxxxxx