Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Members retirement
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:40:04 +0100
On 21 March 2016 at 09:33, Ish Sookun <ish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

On 03/20/2016 05:03 PM, Christian Boltz wrote:

So the plan is to break existing mail addresses once someone becomes
inactive? That makes it less likely that people actually use their
@opensuse.org mail address because "it could go away". That also means
less "advertising" for openSUSE.

I agree with Christian. Though I am not much active on the mailing list,
forums and even IRC, I do happen to evangelize openSUSE with the resources I
got here in Mauritius. The opensuse.org email alias is one of the "tools"
that comes handy when promoting openSUSE, especially while contacting local
institutions (e.g universities) to host events.

I'd propose to keep the mail address even for retired members (unless
someone actively asks to drop it, or it starts bouncing mails).

I go along Christian's suggestion.

But why? you are an active member and want to remain one, you just
have the misfortune of your contributions being unlikely of being
automatically detected

So with the planned procedure, you'll receive an email

That email will ask if you're still interested in being a member

You will reply Yes

And you wouldn't become a retired member, you'd keep having your
@opensuse.org email address...nothing would change

People will only be retired if they choose they no longer want to be a member

And if they no longer want to be a member, I do not see why they
should still be able to represent the project with an @opensuse.org
email address